It’s yet another confession-time here at YMYM!
I’m stinky. Sometimes very stinky. And, since I work from home, I don’t need to shower first-thing. Some days I’m sitting here working, stinking this whole house out, and I comfort myself by pretending that I’m having a contest to see how stinky I can get. Only, it’s just me here, so I’m competing with myself, therefore, I am the winner.
I’ve tried a bunch of brands over the years, and found a semi-decent one, Kiss My Face in Peaceful Patchouli (the other scents don’t work). This only works if you’re blind to the fact that it actually kind of smells like BO, only friendlier BO. Also, it’s very wet. It’s cold. It’s a roll-on. On a cold Connecticut morning, the thought of being cold and wet is not-preferable.
This morning, I realized in desperation that I’m out of Peace Patchouli! I don’t plan on showering for at least 5 more hours. So unless I take action, it’s going to get scary in here.
I Googled, and came across a recipe for homemade deodorant. However, I couldn’t make it, because my sexy beefcake of a husband, (who is also quite inconsiderate, hello!?) tightened up the jar of coconut oil so much that I couldn’t OPEN IT. Ugh!
Luckily, I had some of the body butter, which I made for presents last week (click here to see that post). So all I did was add baking soda and corn starch (or arrow root powder) to it. The results are pretty impressive!
Just to let you know, this formula is weird, it’s a cream, and most American’s aren’t used to rubbing cream on their armpits, so it’s a bit different, but it works. And the best part, it works at keeping you dry too (which, Kiss My Face does not do!). YES!
The essential oils smell lovely, and dissipate as the day wears on, so you don’t smell like deodorant. The baking soda absorbs the stench, and the cornstarch absorbs wetness. The nice oils keep your gorgeous, lady (or not) pits from looking bumpy from shaving. After a busy day working and chasing for a highly-active 3 year-old, without a shower, I am stink-free and loving life.
The full natural antiperspirant deodorant recipe is below. You’re welcome, I love your stinky butts!
- 1 cup shea butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup almond oil
- Essential Oils (I used Lavender, Frankincense and Lime)
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- ½ cup Corn Starch or Arrowroot Powder
- Melt the shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Stir in almond oil and essential oils (just a few drops of each, it’s easier to add more than take away).
- Place oil mixture in freezer for 20 minutes.
- When the oils are partially solid, they’ll look like yellowish goo, whip it up with a mixer until it’s got a buttery consistency. It’ll get very white and pretty, and you’ll be tempted to eat it, but don’t.
- Stir in your baking soda and corn starch or arrowroot powder until it’s mixed throughout. (If you omit this step, you’ve got body butter.)
- Throw the mixture into jars, and apply daily!