Yin Mom, Yang Mom

DIY Homemade Body Butter

Homemade DIY Body Butter - Yin Mom, Yang Mom

I saw this recipe last year for homemade body butter, and it’s so beautifully photographed on this blog, that I just couldn’t wait to do it. My plan was for this to be a 2011 project, and since plans were meant to be procrastinated-on, here I am one year later, finally getting around to it!

The recipe calls for “100% Pure Unrefined Organic Raw Shea Butter“. But, since I made this on a whim the other day, I didn’t have time to wait for the delivery of “100% Pure Unrefined Organic Raw SHEA BUTTER”, so I went to the health food store and bought a container or regular old shea butter, and lo and behold, it worked fabulously!

Homemade DIY Body Butter - Yin Mom, Yang Mom

I didn’t have a double boiler, so I just put two pots together. Make sure to skew them a bit so the steam can escape.

It ran me about $75 dollars for the supplies and the jars, but I ended up with 9 little jars, so for 9 presents, $75 isn’t so bad! Plus, I bought WAY more almond oil, coconut oil and essential oils than are needed for the recipe, so I have leftovers to use on myself :)

Here is the recipe, found on Rawmazing.com.

DIY Homemade Body Butter
Author:

Makes 2½ to 3 cups whipped butter.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup Organic, raw (I used regular, and it was fine) shea butter
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup almond oil
  • Several drops of your favorite essential oils. I chose Lavender, Frankincense and Lime
Instructions
  1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
  2. Stir in almond oil and essential oils of your choosing.*
  3. Place oil mixture in freezer or outside to chill for 20 minutes.
  4. Whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved.
  5. Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.
  6. *Not all essential oils are skin friendly or child friendly. Please do your research before adding.
  7. Tips:
  8. You can use what ever oils you wish, just make sure you keep the ratio 75% solid to 25% liquid.
  9. The chilling step is crucial. If you don’t chill it properly, it won’t whip or stay whipped. About 20 minutes in the freezer usually does the trick for this batch. Make sure you scrape down the sides before mixing.
  10. Since this recipe does not contain any water, it will not mould. You should keep in a cool place but it does not have to be refrigerated.
  11. I do not know the exact shelf life but I know it will keep at least a few months, plus.
  12. The body butter melts as it goes on and gets a little oily but absorbs beautifully, quickly and leaves your skin very soft.

This stuff feels amazing on your skin, and really gave me a boost on a cold, rainy Connecticut day. It’s also a really nice texture for a nice back rub with your favorite back rub provider.

I made cute little labels, which you can print for your own gift-making awesomeness!

Homemade DIY Body Butter - Yin Mom, Yang Mom

There’s one which lists the fragrance, if you choose to use the same oils I did, and a generic one in case you want to experiment with your own combinations.

DOWNLOAD BODY BUTTER LABEL WITH NO FRAGRANCE INFO

DOWNLOAD BODY BUTTER LABEL WITH FRAGRANCE INFO

DIY Homemade Body Butter - Yin Mom, Yang Mom

Homemade DIY Body Butter - Yin Mom, Yang Mom

Here’s a link to the type of jars I bought, which I found at my grocery store (Stop and Shop): http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Quilted-Jelly-Canning-Case/dp/B000VTSYA8

Happy holidays, enjoy your gift giving and receiving!!!

xoxo, Mere

17 comments for “DIY Homemade Body Butter

1. Erica
    January 21, 2013 at 12:09 am

Do you know if the NOW, Lavender Essential Oil is skin or child friendly?

2. Mandy
    January 27, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Does this body butter not get hard and crusty after you whip it? I made body butter yesterday and today – it looked great and whipped – but then got hard and crusty as time went on (while it was in its jar).

I used cocoa butter, hemp oil – i slowly melted cocoa butter to 94 degrees, then added the other oil (a few drops of vitamin E too) – then chilled to 66 degrees – and whipped with hand mixer, Then chilled further to 62 degrees whipped, then 59 degrees – and whipped. It LOOKED like it was turning out – but after i jarred it it got a little bit gross and doesnt look whipped. I used it and it works but is super super oily once it reaches my skin.

Do you have any suggestions???? Thank you.

• Mere
      January 27, 2013 at 11:05 pm

It has stayed nice and light and fluffy for me, it’s really so nice, I just love it. It is a bit oily when I first put it on, but after about 15 minutes or so I don’t feel oily at all. Thanks for reading, good luck!

• Lindsay
        January 16, 2015 at 2:11 pm

PLEASE HELP! I’ve read recipe after recipe for body butter, including this one, and keep ending up with something with the consistency of applesauce. Don’t get me wrong- it’s lovely, lavendery, smooth applesauce, but it’s certainly not whipped and certainly doesn’t look anything like the pictures. Should I be, like doubling up on my emulsifiers? Do you have any ideas?

3. Kuheyli
    May 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

Hi

What can I use instead of Coconut oil? Will olive oil work with this recipe?

• Mere
      May 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm

You can sub the coconut oil, but you will need to make sure that the solid/liquid ratio is at least 75% solid to 25% liquid. :)

4. Diana
    December 27, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hi – How long could this be stored without going bad?

• Mere
      January 2, 2014 at 1:22 pm

As long as no water gets into it, it can be stored indefinitely. The essential oil fragrance will probably start to fade after about 6 months. Good luck!

5. April 16, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Made this today with raw shae butter so it came out very golden in color but this is a fantastic recipe, thank you ♥

• Mere
      April 22, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Oh, yes, there’s two kinds of unrefined shea butter. Gold and Ivory. I’ve not tried the ivory before, but the gold is really nice. I’m glad you like the recipe!

6. racheal
    September 2, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Can I use this on my face?

• Mere
      September 2, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Hi Racheal, yes! I use it on my face when I’m very dry. I also use it for oil cleansing, it’s wonderful in the winter.

7. December 16, 2014 at 5:43 am

Great tutorial, it inspired me tofinally get out my bowl and mixer and whip up a couple of jars (last minute school teacher prezzies!)

8. Brooke
    January 20, 2015 at 1:13 pm

About how much of each oil did you put in the mixture?