Yin Mom, Yang Mom

I need your help, please.

Could use a little help from my friends.

A little while back I came to the realization that if I don’t try to go gluten-free for a little while, I’ll never know if it will help my thyroid problem or not.  Now that my life is feeling more peaceful, I’d like to start to initiate that effort.  But I can’t do it alone.  And I need to take baby steps.  And, I need someone to make me accountable.  I was wondering if you could help me.

There are a lot of gluten free recipes out there, but I’m just a little scared to dive in, and would love to have some recipes from people who’ve actually made them.  Would you do me a solid, and please comment on this post with your favorite gluten free recipe?  I will work it into my upcoming meal plans, and give you mad props!

I also just wanted to mention, we made the kale, sausage and white beans recipe from my meal plan last night, and it was super duper.  It was made better with a few teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, and my kids actually ate it, whoot!

I hope you all had a nice weekend and are ready to jump into an awesome week!

8 comments for “I need your help, please.

1. Chris Fear
    February 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hey Meredith, Just a word of caution – once you go completely g free, being g free may make you actually intolerable of it – happened to a friend of mine. Anyway, there is a g free baakery in glastonbury that is supposed to be good! Good luck with you new adventure!

2. Jody
    February 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I just read the most AWESOME recipe for breakfast muffins over at Poor Girl Eats Well. They are Quinoa strawberry banana, and I can’t wait to make them. She breaks everything down to the point where a monkey could make it, and I have loved every recipe I have ever made from her blog. Plus, she cooks on a budget. These muffins are a whole meal for 30 cents a serving!

3. Miriam
    February 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Almond pancakes! High in protein and G free
    1 cup ground almond meal
    ¼ cup water
    2 Tb cooking oil (I use safflower oil)
    ¼ tsp. salt
    1 Tb sweetener (I use honey, but you can use sugar or maple syrup or anything else)

I also add cinnamon and vanilla. They take a little longer to cook than regular pancakes, Makes a great snack with peanut butter on them.

4. Miriam
    February 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

oops!! I forgot, you need 2 eggs in there as well!

5. February 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

This lady has it going on! I make her brownie recipe even though I’m a gluten lover. It’s that good.

Overall, baking GF is best with a combo of flours: almond, coconut, all purpose GF flour. Bob’s Red Mill is great for all of the above.

6. February 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the awesome tips and recipes! I’m looking forward to getting this going!!

7. Lolita
    November 3, 2012 at 12:40 am

My doctor put me on a low glycemic diet for my thyroid problem it’s very hard to stick with its no starches what so ever so it’s just plain cruel but he said the most important part was to eat some form of protein 5 times a day

• Mere
      November 3, 2012 at 3:26 am

That’s very interesting, I’ve been craving meat (and eating lots too), and totally not digging carbs!